10/10/2012

Baked salmon with cayenne maple syrup glaze

Sometimes you have to cook with what you have. I had to cook with what I was allowed:) This time, it was a salmon filet.
Sure, you can cook it with lemon slices and s&p, but that's just old and booooring. I guess I should have done that one, but I seriously didn't feel like it. Come on, anybody who diets, craves something. Usually flavour, believe it or not :)

So I was real naughty an I did a maple syrup marinade. Did you know that maple syrup is sweet, but much much less than sugar, brown sugar, aspartam and so on? And it has a wonderful flavour. I heard about a cleansing diet:) where you're supposed to drink lemonade made from lemons, cayenne pepper and maple syrup. You end up drinking the syrup sans the rest:)

This is a super simple recipe, that I think you will end up making often. I know I do.

Ok, here's how to:

Type of dish: main
Cost: medium
Difficulty: easy
Serves: 2
Time: 65 min
Preparation time: 5 min
Baking time: 30 min
Marinating time: 30 min
Oven temp: 180C

You'll need:
A shallow baking dish the size of your salmon filet, a tablespoon, aluminium foil,

Ingrdients:
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3-4 tbsp soy sauce ( taste if you need more)
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, finely minced
  • 1 salmon filet, fresh


Get ready, go:
Rinse your salmon under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside for a sec. In the baking dish, mix the maple syrup, cayenne pepper, garlic and soy sauce, and when you got the flavour you're after- sweeter or more salty, put your salmon in the sauce skin side up.Cover up with the foil and put in the fridge for 30 min at least ( you can make this in the morning and bake it in the evening).
Baking is terribly simple: preheat your oven to 180C. Take out your salmon, turn it over so the skin is on the bottom of the dish. Cover again with the foil and pop it in the oven. Bake for 25 min, then take off the foil, pour some more marinade on the fish, turn on the broiler/grill and get the top nice and brown/red for the last 5 min. Cut in half and serve with more marinade on top.
DONE! As we say, Nailed it!

Additional info:
Want a scandinavian touch? Serve with a few boiled or baked potatoes. More asian style, add plain rice. I went with salad as a side. You can do that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Durszlak.pl